"Not eating chard. That's what all those weirdos eat at their stupid picnics on the Hungry Ghost lawn." -Nina

December 15, 2008

"This is a farewell kiss, dog"

You know, before I left town, I really wanted to speak on the panhandling ordinance at a City Council meeting. I wanted to go up to the podium to chastise council members for not speaking out publicly and forcefully against this latest salvo in a class war that has been waged in Northampton for two decades. But more specifically, I wanted to speak about class friction in town, and how I saw a pattern of aggression develop over the last 20 years from certain segments of the affluent class against those less fortunate. I guess I just wanted to say, "This is what I see, I'm not an idiot, and though those participating might think it's not observable, I see it, I don't like it, and it breaks my heart. Also, Fuk you."

Then I would have thrown my shoe and yelled, "This is a farewell kiss, dog!"

Alas, this is just a fantasy.

Archives